Stories and Reflections of an Ordinary Man in the Hands of an Extraordinary God

Thoughts and Reflections of an Ordinary Man in the Hands of an Extraordinary God

"He guides the humble in what is right and teaches them his way."

~Psalm 25:9



Saturday, June 4, 2011

New Blog!

Hello Friends,

I finally took the plunge and decided to start something a little more "official" and organized than my random facebook notes. My goal is to post at least once a week about what God is teaching me through His Word, Spirit, and the lives of those around me. I am no scholar, but I am a firm believer that God can and does use ordinary people who are dedicated to the cause of the Gospel to reveal truth, so this is what I will be attempting to do here. Though I trust the Spirit's ability to work through me, I am human and thus prone to favoring preconceived notions, propogating misunderstandings, and the like. For that reason, I would love for this blog to become a conversation of sorts, where I can be free to throw out bold ideas and wrestle with difficult issues. So if you ever disagree with what I say, PLEASE post comments and concerns. I won't be offended in the slightest. As members of the Christian church, we are united by our faith in Jesus, regardless of any theological, political, or philosophical disagreements we may have. I plan to write boldly, and will hope for bold responses.

The name for this blog comes from an observation that has been mulling around in my head for quite some time now. Being at Hope College affords one the privelege of being exposed to a large number of Christians. In my interactions with other Christians, I have noticed one particular attribute that all mature Christians have in common. It isn't joy, peace, or love, but rather is something that inevitably produces all three. What I am talking about here, ironically enough, is weakness. Every human being is weak. People just don't always realize it. The single most common characteristic of a mature follower of Christ is a strange fragility, a deep sense of humility, a profound self-awareness of one's own brokenness.

As I read through the Old Testament for the first time last year, the story of David and Saul in 1 Samuel. Israel's first two kings were both chosen by God and anointed by Samuel, the high preist. This is important in that it shows us that Saul was not doomed from the start. He had his chance, but as it turned out, his heart was not in the right place. Both Saul and David sin against God, and at first glance, David's sin seems to be a lot more severe. Most people would consider deception, murder, and adultery greater crimes than conducting a hasty and improper sacrifice. After all, Saul's sin didn't even directly effect the lives of other people! But beyond showing us that God's ways our not our ways, this story shows us the importance of a repentant heart. Read Psalm 51. There is a reason that David is described as a man after God's own heart. What a beautiful model of brokenness for us to follow! God can deal with our sin. In fact, He already has through our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. What He can't deal with is a prideful, unrepentant heart like that of Saul.

Sadly, I was never taught this growing up. I didn't know that sanctification comes through weakness and that good works are done through faith. Romans 1:5 calls us to "obedience that comes faith." The evangelical church failed me in this, and consequently stunted my spiritual growth significantly. I say this not out of bitterness, but as a warning to anyone who thinks they are a Christian but still tries to do things on their own. It doesn't work. It never has, and it never will. Thankfully, God in His infinite mercy, is teaching me to abide in Him, to sit humbly at His feet and worship Him like Mary in Luke 7. It is only in this state of being that I can bear witness to the Gospel, encourage fellow believers, and keep from destroying myself altogether. Will you join me in becoming broken vessels of love to this dying world?

"For what we preach is not ourselves, but Jesus Christ as Lord, and ourselves as your servants for Jesus’ sake. For God, who said, 'Let light shine out of darkness,' made his light shine in our hearts to give us the light of the knowledge of God’s glory displayed in the face of Christ. But we have this treasure in jars of clay to show that this all-surpassing power is from God and not from us."

~2 Corinthians 4:5-7

"But he said to me, 'My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.' Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me."

~2 Corinthians 12:9

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on beginning a blogg.
    In my experience and understanding, as I move closer to perfection(the LORD), I become more aware of my own imperfection(sin).
    Excellent point brother. Your example of living for Christ has a way of sharpening my witness for Christ!

    ReplyDelete